Thursday, March 16, 2006

Subsistence. Persistence. Existence.


Much to my delight, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence has finally arrived. Well, delight and disappointment but only because I still have yet to finish the original Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Shame on me.


If you know me, you'd know that I really like to collect video games as well as play them. I'm usually more than happy to pay more for a game just to get some stupid little extra. It doesn't really change my experience of the game - that's just the way I am. Pretty silly if you think about it. Anyway, I just had to get my hands on the Limited Edition version of MGS3: Subsistence for the extra 3rd disc which contains a movie like edit of the game's cutscenes.

For some reason, this 3rd disc is only playable on the PS2. Why I don't know. The video isn't rendered in real time like they are when you play the game. Instead we get a moderately high compressed video that could, and should, have been playable in DVD players. In my opinion, since Existence is only playable on the PS2, it should have rendered the scenes in real time so the video quality would be better. I haven't watched all of the Existence movie, I don't want to ruin the story development that I haven't seen in the game yet, I just watched the intro to see what it was like.


I have spent a good amount of time playing the online mode though. It's pretty damn fun. Aiming is a bit difficult, 1st person camera is useless, and claymores don't seem to work. Those are my biggest complaints so far. I just had to get used to the aiming system, which is odd since I don't think it's changed since Snake Eater was released. It could just be the new camera mode.

I'll comment on the new camera mode once I've gotten a chance to play around with it. Until then, it's time to finish Snake Eater and play Metal Gear Online during my breaks.

No comments: