Monday, May 08, 2006

E3 2006!

I have high hopes for this year's E3 to be very exciting and interesting. Last year was a huge disappointment thanks to the poor showing from the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as well as the Nintendo Wii not being present at all.

Like many gamers, I've been dying to see how the Wii plays. At this point in time, I can't even imagine how the gameplay for Mario Revolution will be. How can we just use that wand controller to move Mario around the Mushroom Kingdom? How will Smash Bros. Revolution or Mario Kart Revolution play? And for that matter... will it they online playable at launch? It'd kick so much ass if they were and I hope Nintendo realizes this too.

For this Nintendo fan, it's both an exhilarating and scary time.

Like they did with the N64, Nintendo is attempting to show the industry new ways of interacting with the game worlds. I remember thinking the same things I'm thinking now about how would analog controls work in a video game when Mario 64 was announced. Of course, now using analog controls are a tried and true standard. Will the same be said about spacial controls in five years? I certainly hope so, because pressing the A button to swing a tennis racket is nothing like actually making a swinging motion to swing a tennis racket.

Even better still, I'll be going to this year's E3. First thing that I'm gonna do when I get there? Head straight to the Nintendo booth and get in line to play the Wii. Even if that's the only thing I get to do at E3, I'll go home extremely happy.

No comments: