Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Odd Similarity

Check out this video from the upcoming Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball 2, which shows off the new Marine Race mode. (If that link didn't work, go here and watch the video titled 'Marine Race'.) Now watch this video from the Nintendo 64 game, Wave Race 64. Is it just me or is the track that Tecmo chose to show off their Marine Race mode very oddly similar to the Southern Island track in Wave Race 64?

First I'll give props to Tecmo for at least (seemingly) basing their new mode after one of the best jetski racing games ever made. Wave Race 64 is one of the N64's best games and, in my opinion, is the only game thus far to accurately simulate water physics (I'm sure plenty of you would disagree with me on that). Props aside, I have to wonder how well the racing game would play. Juding from the previous game's "volleyball" and the fact that the "volleyball" hasn't changed at all in the sequel, I would have to say that the Marine Racing mode is also mediocre.

No one will know how the game plays until it is nearly released to the public. Tecmo seems to do that a lot with their games. To me, that just says that they know their games are all graphics and no gameplay. Shiny oversized gravity defying bouncy graphics... with realistic tan lines...

Since my buddy Eron didn't like the Shadow of the Colossus video I posted last month, here's another video. This one actually uses music from the game and shows off some really cool moves in the process. Enjoy.

No comments: