Saturday, January 06, 2007

Laziness

It's been a while since I've written regular updates. I really want to keep this blog active and I'm going to to write at least every Friday evening from now on. =)

Previously working for EA, I've seen a lot of bugs that get past QA for reasons known and unknown. Understandably, publishers have a deadline to meet and the developers will never have enough time to fix everything that QA would like fixed.

But some bugs just astound me. How can simple things like this get past QA? RITCHITER mode? That's almost as bad as "Bimmy and Jimmy" from Double Dragon III. (See the attached Angry Nintendo Nerd video at the end of this post.) I also remember that Alien Hominid for the GameCube had its button mapping instructions all screwed up. Whatever was listed in the game and in the manual wasn't even close to the actual controls. Amazing to say the least.

Now, I totally understand a game can't be 100% bug free even when the developer is given all the time in the world. However, leaving simple bugs such as the ones mentioned above do reflect the quality of the game and shows a lack of interest by the publisher to make the game the absolute best that it can be.

EA's company motto is ACTION. Each letter stands for something, but the only one I remember is "O" which stands for Ownership. No matter what industry you work in and what job you have, if you take ownership of your projects you will reflect your dedication into your product and make it all the better for the consumer.

No comments: