Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Transformers toys

Being in the Transformers mood that I've been in lately (all thanks to the upcoming movie) I went and bought a couple of the movie toys, namely Leader Class Optimus Prime, Voyager Class Starscream, and the Target exclusive Robo-vision Optimus Prime.

I'm really impressed by the quality of these toys. They have a lot of fine details that the old Transformers toys didn't have. Additionally, the Leader Class Optimus Prime has rubber tires (something that the Transformers toys of recent years have neglected).

I'm most impressed by Starscream. When I first saw the toy, I hated the design because I thought that it made him look top heavy and bulky. Not something I normally think of when I think of a F22 Raptor or a fighter jet in general. After buying the toy (I had to, it's freaking Starscream) I was instantly amazed how well designed the toy was. The transformation is very nicely done and goes very smoothly.

The transformation for Leader Class Optimus isn't as nice as I feel it should be. I think it's over-complicated for a kids toy. Sure, it is rated as one of the more difficult toys to transform, but I still think it's too complicated. Regardless, both the robot and truck forms are impressive.

I'd like to get a Megatron toy, but I don't like the look of the Leader Class version. Hopefully the Voyager Class Megatron will be better.

Less than two weeks until the movie premieres in the US. I can't wait!

No comments: